Thursday, 26 June 2014

Okinawa Goju-ryu Minei dojo...mid1970's



I've had the pleasure of visiting Minei sensei's dojo a number of times, although many years have past since I was last there. Minei sensei was a senior student of Eiichi Miyazato sensei and it was though that connection that I met him and subsequently visited his dojo.

In these two videos from the 1970's the kata of Goju-ryu are demonstrated for the camera. Interesting for me is the rendition of Tensho kata by  Anichi Miyagi sensei (no relation to Chojun Miyagi), who many will know as the man Morio Higaonna sensei claims was his teacher. As a teenager, Anichi sensei was a junior student at the Miyagi dojo.


You'll have to forgive me for loading the two parts of this video in the way I have......I have an 8th kyu in computer science, and at times like this: it shows! Nevertheless, you can at least watch the footage and enjoy the peek back in time to the way Goju-ryu kata was practised in one particular dojo in Okinawa almost forty-years ago.

More to follow......