Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Jundokan Dojo 25th Anniversary Demonstration


I've discovered a number of interesting old video clips on YouTube recently and I thought many readers would appreciate having a look at them; some of the videos are longer than others, but I think they're all interesting in their own way.

For me, it's great to see my sensei demonstrating Tensho kata, I was surprised by the speed of his performance, and the way some of the other kata of Goju-ryu were performed before I became a member of the Jundokan. It's also interesting to catch a glimpse of Mark Bishop, the well known Author of books on Okinawan karate, as part of a group kata demonstration at the Miyagi Chojun sensei 20th anniversary demonstration.

I have to be honest here and say I found some of  the forms (kata) demonstrated by students of Hung I-hsiang Sifu from Taiwan, to be a little "out-there" for my liking. If you ever saw the 1980's B.B.C. t.v. series Way of the Warrior, you may remember the episode featuring Hung Sifu.

The quality of the footage isn't wonderful, but this was shot in 1978, long before personal video cameras were invented. I hope you find it as interesting as I did. I'll post more of the short videos over the coming days.