Thursday, 3 October 2013

Safely Wrapped in Platitudes...

Me and students training with nunchaku - c2008
I watched a short video recently where the karateka being interviewed said all the right things...you know, the usual stuff about karate being a personal journey, a fight against the ego...blah, blah, blah.

Later, I watched a short clip of a different karateka who walked the entire length of a kata making every single move a devastating strike on his hapless student....he even provided his own sound effects as he demonstrated his skill..."bang", "crunch", "whoosh".

My lasting impression from both videos is not the physical display of karate (?), but the endless babbling platitudes spewing from the lips of these "karate experts". I didn't believe a word either of them said, although I do believe that they believed it.

But here's the thing, when you base your training in nonsense, and you wrap your thoughts in platitudes, I think it's safe to say you are no longer involved in karate....just an imitation of it.