Friday, 16 August 2013

You Alone......

In quiet contemplation, I pay my respects at the grave of  my teacher
When you study karate, or anything else for that matter, there comes a time when you have to take responsibility for yourself. Eiichi Miyazato sensei was big on this idea, and never allowed me to lean on him or ask too many questions; his answer to most enquiries was the same...."Training!"

You can still have a sensei and be responsible for yourself, in fact, a good sensei will insist upon it. Only the fakes and frauds cultivate followers. If you truly believe you have something to teach, you no doubt have a lot to learn. Teaching karate is easy, learning it is too; but practising karate....now there's a challenge!

I came across a quote the other day attributed to the fifteenth century explorer Christopher Columbus, it said, "You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." It resonated with me....how about you?